With carols playing in every shop and restaurant and beautiful fairy lights and Christmas decorations up everywhere, it’s hard to resist the Christmas cheer! So, if you’re looking for some of the best spots to get into the Christmas spirit with your family in the Stellenbosch and Cape Winelands area this month, you’ve come to the right place!
The Stellenbosch Mom is here to give you carefully selected, wholesome and fun activities that the entire family can enjoy together these holidays.
- This year, The Stellenbosch Slow Market will celebrate Christmas on Friday, 7 December and Saturday, 8 December. Traditional lights and décor will transform the marketplace into a Christmas wonderland from 17h00-22h00 on Friday and from 09h00-14h00 on Saturday. Children, both young and old, can whisper their Christmas wish list into Santa’s ear and sit on his lap for a photograph. Old favourites, Lollos and Lettie will also be paying the Oude Libertas Amphitheatre a visit from 8pm on Friday night.
- The countdown to the annual Twilight Christmas Market at Blaauwklippen Vineyards is fast approaching and worth the wait. This year, the market will take place from the 17th until the 22nd, from 16:00 – 21:00. Always buzzing with activity, this unique market oozes charm and fantasy. With live entertainment performed by a variety of talented musicians, and special Carols by Candlelight, the ambience is festive and fun for the whole family (even your four-legged friends are welcome). Plus, all the profits from the candle sales are donated to local charities, warming hearts and stomachs during this time of giving.
- Christmas lunch at La Paris is everything but your “average and expected” Christmas buffet. This Franschhoek Estate pride themselves in recreating all your Christmas favourites as decadent dishes, but they don’t only stick to tradition either. Vegan bowls, wholesome salads, fresh seafood and Karoo lamb are also on the menu. And while the kids enjoy games on the lush green lawn, adults can enjoy live music on the day, while taking in the beautiful Christmas décor and of course the picturesque setting. Enjoy the buffet at R850 per adult and R250pp for kids between age 4 and 11. Remember to book!
- Spier’s annual Light Art Show is on from 10 December until 30 January. Expect a stunning show of light and sound that dazzles this beautiful historic Stellenbosch wine farm. What’s more, entrance is free, and you can enjoy a light dinner or picnic before the show. For more information take a look at our events calendar.
- Book an evening for Christmas-themed chicnics at Allée Bleue on 24, 25 or 26 December. The garden of this family-friendly Franschhoek estate is the perfect setting for celebrating Christmas. The kids have ample space to play while you indulge in a wonderful hamper filled with delicious goodies, such as traditional turkey, gammon and mince pies, with vegetarian options also available (and some award-winning wines, of course). Christmas dinner sorted.
Nice to know: Each of these selected venues have healthy options available for both adults and kids, as well as safe, sustainable and/or socially responsible practices in place, making them all the more deserving of our Stamp of Approval. Even Blaauwklippen is donating profits from their Carols by Candlelight events to local charities. If only more places would share in the spirit of giving back, not only during the Festive Season, but all year round.
Wishing you all a splendid Festive Season and a wonderful Summer holiday!
From our family to yours,
The Stellenbosch Mom